In the past we have heard of some not so successful stories from the world of Kickstarter, stories ranging from companies withdrawing products from the list to companies not making through the goal. But this story is definitely a happy one!
Micro 3D printers are produced by a 3D printing firm based in Maryland named M3D. The printer surpassed its $50,000 goal in less than 24 hours, earning $330,000 from 1,300 backers. The printer managed to raise $3.4 million with the support of around 12, 000 backers so far. The printer took only 11 minutes to reach the crowd funding goal and by the end of the day M3D had sold all its $200 and $250 bundles as well as one filament spool. These were the special price limited printers. The price does not include the shipping charges.
The M3D team said, “What great news to wake up to! Having so many backers’ means we have the opportunity to make more Micros. We’re really excited about the amount of buzz The Micro has created, and we want to assure you we are hunkering down and focusing on delivering back rewards for the next several months.”
Until now around 7,530 Micro 3D printers have been claimed by customers. These acclaimed printers will reach the owners by the October and February of 2015. Each additional dollar helps the company recruit more staff and manufacture more printers quickly and efficiently.
The technical specifications of Micro 3D printer:
- Supports many different materials: ABS, PLA, nylon, professional, chameleon
- 50-350 micron layer resolution
- 15 micron X and Y positioning accuracy
- Filament: standard 1.75mm. 1/2lb rolls fit within print bed and allow you to try a variety of materials and colors for less! Standard filament rolls also supported.
- Print height: 116mm (4.6″)
- Base Print Area: 109mm x 113mm
- Print Area Above 74mm: 91mm x 84mm
- Removable Print Bed Size: 128x128mm
- Printer Dimensions: It’s a cube, 7.3 in (185 mm) per side.
- Printer weight: 1kg (2.2 lbs)
- Package weight: 2kg – 2.7kg (4.4 lbs – 6 lbs)
- USB Compatible
- Glass-Filled ABS Body
- M3D software for an effortless, plug-and-play experience
- Supports and uses open source software (for advanced users)
- File Types Supported: .STL, .OBJ
- Compatible with Mac and PC. Linux will also likely be supported.
The printer from the very beginning was being publicized as the first truly consumer 3D printer. This printer is compatible with a wide range of operating systems from Windows to Mac and Linux.
Michael Armani, the founder at M3D, says, “We are absolutely astounded by the positive response we’ve had; to hit our goal in just 11 minutes and then to raise more than $2 million this early in our campaign. We’re honored to be in the same arena of Kickstarter success stories such as the Oculus Rift, and excited to be making The Micro a reality for the everyday consumer thanks to our backers. They’ve made this possible, and we’re making sure that we deliver on time as a thank you for their continued support.”
Image Source: Printm3d.com